Wednesday, May 27, 2015

The evil mouse bite




Drops of blood were falling down on floor as I watched in horror. A rat had bitten me while I was trying to sleep on the floor.

Just five minutes ago

I was half asleep with the room lights off. The evil rodent struck when I stretched my hands backwards. I felt its teeth on my finger and I shouted “Bloody mother f*****!” (Of course in Punjabi) and then jumped and ran to turn the lights on. “A rat has bitten me” I told Adeel and Awais (my brother and his friend/roommate) as they rushed towards me.  I went over and washed my hands, but bleeding did not stop. It was then that someone said the offender is still inside the same room and we must take revenge. The great mouse hunt ensued.

Hunting the attacker


The room was clear, nothing was on the floor but the "beast" was nowhere to be seen. Adeel noticed that there was a gap between the wall and the carpet, he went ahead and started pressing the carpet against the wall with his foot. He was moving north-south, all of a sudden he jumped back and I saw the rat zooming straight to the door. I immediately launched the slipper missile from my right hand towards the culprit on the run.
It almost hit Adeel, and apparently, I had missed my target. But then I saw that the mouse was lying still on the carpet with its legs in the air. Awais stepped up with a worn out cloth in his hand and picked up the severely wounded trespasser.

Photos of the blood and finger

As soon as we were done with the rat, I rushed out and bought a bottle of Dettol, could have gone for tincture iodine instead but Dettol was all I could think of at that time. Dipping my finger in the antibacterial made me feel better.

The idea of photographing the bloody finger did not cross my mind at that time.


The black mark on the finger is the mark left by the rat byte

Tetanus and Rabies

The next morning, I visited a doctor and asked him if I needed a shot of some sort. He suggested Tetanus. I also discussed the possible threat of Rabies but the doctor ruled the chance out.

In the end

This time around, I don't have a serious message to impart. But I would still love to remind you that such stray mice should not be allowed to roam free in a household. Kill them with brute force or poison them.
They might bite a child's ear off(as once happened in a very poor hospital here).

PS: I am finding it very hard to proof read and copy edit, please feel free to mention any mistakes found in the script. I will try to fix.

No comments:

Post a Comment