Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Protospeak: Mission statement, standards, and background

Mission Statement

Share the life story and experiences of an ordinary man who is an urban creature but hails from rural Punjab. The writings shared herein will be original. I want some part of my mortal self to echo in the universe for a while after I am gone. Protospeak will serve as an instrument to fulfill the wish.
Steve Job's quote is going to be my guide here: "Keep looking, and don't settle down."

Standards

Continuous improvement in writing standard and clear thinking will be the most important ingredients of this blog. Impurities like SEO keywords shall be kept at bay.

Background

My first introduction to blogging was some time circa 2005. I guess I had seen Badar Khushnood, the Google guy in Pakistan speaking about the wonders of blogging and how people were making tonnes of cash using it. I created a blog named Exhaust, wrote a few things sitting in an internet cafe, and totally forgot about it shortly afterwards.

Notable Blogging Credentials

2008 was the year when I started writing on A Programmer's Day, my tech blog. It is in good shape, attracts a couple hundred people every day. But, it is a blog focused on technology. It is unsuitable for general public, in my opinion.

In 2009 "Khuli Kitab" کھلی کتاب (open book) my Urdu blog was born, I still put out a piece every other week on that blog. We have a small Urdu blogger community in Pakistan. Feed aggregators like اردو سیارہ
and a few Facebook outlets are used to publicize content. This blog pulls less than 100 hits every day.

The Freelance Times was my latest blog which was also focused on a niche. I have stopped freelancing ever since I joined a job in March 2015, which means I don't have much to say on that front at least for now. Read no more posts for a while.



The road to Protospeak

In the first half of the day, I am preparing for IELTS(International English Language Testing Service) at BETS(British Education & Training System).
Despite being a blogger, writing tasks in IELTS have turned out to be a weakness so far. I tend to lose sight of the main task, and forget spellings as well(courtesy of auto-correct). The need to improve combined with an urge to have an English outlet to express a broad set of my ideas forced my unwilling self towards starting this blog.
Tim's (my IELTS teacher) suggestion was the last most wanted nudge after which I finally went ahead and created this blog.

Dangling Dervish

It was the first name which came in my mind. I really like it, pretty much sums up my personality. On a second thought, I considered "Pro[fessional] to speak", which became "protospeak". A curious look revealed that I had actually come up with a name carrying a different meaning in a good way.

What to Expect

Things I've learned being a husband, father, entrepreneur, resident alien, and an IT laborer. Impressions left on me by a brain tumor diagnosis, and the plastic machine (VP-shunt) that I still carry around.

I travel between Lahore and Rawalpindi regularly these days. Encounters with interesting people are common during the journey. Some times I travel by train, some times on bus, and quite a few times I dare driving north all alone in my tiny car(400 kilometers each way). Policemen, rescue workers, traffic wardens typically ask for a lift early morning. Most of the times, they have really interesting stories to tell.
Mentions of wonderful food outlets, and tales of me forgetting things will be present as well.

I will be publishing my own IELTS writing tasks as I complete those. The test fever will be over soon hopefully. After that, I will have stuff from my office life, children, and hobbies (gardening, cooking, blogging). Australian Computer Society certification, and information related to the immigration process will add their colors to the mix as well.
In the end, I will repeat the quote by Steve Jobs, whom I consider my ideal.
"Keep looking, and don't settle down."

No comments:

Post a Comment